Theft from a vehicle is known as a car prowl and is the unlawful taking of motor vehicle contents or parts. A car prowl can be completed in a minute or less and a significant number of these crimes occur at night.
Methods of Entry
- Unlocked door
- Breaking of a window
- Using a wedge to gain access
Items Frequently Stolen
- GPS system
- Electronics: iPhones, laptops, etc.
- Wallets and purses
- Personal information: Mail, vehicle registration, etc.
- Shopping bags with items.
- Keep the interior of your car clean. Don't leave anything appearing to be valuable in plain view.
- Remove garage door openers, or house keys from your car so the car prowler cannot gain access to your home.
- Don't store or leave credit cards, identification, or personal information in your glove box or anywhere in your car.
- If you have valuables, put them in your trunk.
- Always remove keys, roll up windows, lock your car and set alarm (if any).
- If possible, store car in closed and locked garage.
- If your car is in the open, leave exterior lights on throughout the night.
- Consider replacing light fixtures closest to your car with a motion detector unity. Motion detectors are good deterrents causing a thief to think that someone has seen them.
- Park in a busy, well lighted area. Avoid parking near anything that limits visibility such as dumpsters, large trucks, etc.
- Avoid leaving your car in unattended parking lots for long periods of time.
- When you pay to park in a garage, leave just the ignition key. Make sure no personal information is attached. Do the same when you take your car for repairs.
- Organize a neighborhood watch. The people who live on your block are most likely to recognize suspicious activity.
- Be observant when you exit or enter your parked vehicle, stop and take a look around the area.
- Report suspicious behavior to police.
What To Do If Your Car Is Broken Into
- Report the crime to the police.
- If crime is in progress, call 911. If not, call the non-emergency number.
- Moses Lake Non-Emergency Number 509-762-1160
- If thief is caught, request to pursue charges!